Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fun with Boxes :)

Recently where I work we had a week themed "Think Outside the Box". Here are some of the things I created for my kiddos:

 I made this "Sensory Box" by covering an old diaper box. I traced the circle right on the box and half cut, half carved it out with scissors. :P

Then I covered it in construction paper. (You could easily wrap them with some kind of larger paper or wrapping paper if that works better for you or you want a specific kind of pattern.

The idea is to place something inside the box, hidden from sight and have students blindly reach inside and try to guess what it is. It is also a good way to get them talking and using descriptive words.


I made this using a small version of a pizza box. The "pizza" is made of two paper plates, colored and cut into 8 slices. On each slice of the top plate I drew a number of toppings (ex: 1 tomato, 2 pepperonis, 3 green peppers, etc). The bottom slices have numbers on them. Each slice has top and bottom velcro so the pieces can be matched with each other.
 
This is my "MONSTER BOX".  I get out various flash cards... (colors, shapes, letters, numbers, etc.) and lay them out on a table or on the floor. Then the hungry monster asks for one of them specifically and the child feeds the correct flash card to the monster. If the child feeds them the incorrect card, the monster spits it out and states the correct answer, and asks for the first choice again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment